Sunday, February 10, 2013

Craptastic Interview

With Cerner in preparation for graduating undergrad.

Nice to meet you. So, tell us a bit about some projects you've worked on.
Bla bla bla, school project, work project.
So tell me about a time you worked on a team.
Well, I had this senior project ...
So what role would you say you played on that team?
Is "the guy who knows what's going on" a valid answer?
...
So anything you'd like to ask me?
No, not really.

I got called back that night for followup interviews. I figured they'd be actually technical, but it was more of the same. I had this gem of a line in there:
So I see you're currently working at Company X and you say you are supporting in-market products. Are you saying that they aren't perfect when they ship?
Nope. Clearly we try to make them as well as possible, but there are always going to be bugs. Also, waiting til perfection to ship probably means we'd never ship, right?
Umm, well ... I just find that hard to understand that you could release a product with known flaws. But, anyways, have you ever had a time at work where you've had a conflict?
Oh sure, every day.

We were about 7 minutes into the interview at this point and upon hearing this, he contorted into a very awkward position until about 2 minutes left in the interview, at which point he had to reposition to gather up his papers. I explained myself, that conflict isn't like something from Syria, that differences in opinion are part of the creative process, that the value of a team comes not from manpower but from new ideas and cross-checking. I did not get called back. I was the only person in my class I know of who didn't get flown out for an on-site after the campus interviews.

Do you have any questions for me?
*rewind, take 2*: How did this interview help gauge my candidacy? After all, nothing was stopping me from have answers memorized for all this fluff.

No comments: