Wednesday, September 30, 2015

The not-so-ideal candidate

I spent the last few days at UofA, recruiting. Overall it was great, as usual. However, there is a segment of candidates that can get really annoying.

Critical listening:
We have a thing called a program manager. Most people think it's the same as a project manager, or some kind of manager at least. I go out of my way to explain that it is neither of those things. Following it up with "well, I think I'm a good candidate and I have a lot of experience so I'm ready for a management role" will not endear you to me.

Or just not listening:
Many people come prepared with their sales pitch about how great they are. We like to ask questions and have a conversation. It's really hard to do that when unverifiable information is streamed non-stop at my face.

Hygiene:
Onions are delicious. So are other foods. Please clean them out of your mouth before you go talk to a bunch of people in tight quarters.

Compliments:
"You work for Microsoft? You should work for a modeling company" is ... awkward.

Clinginess:
Our process is simple: you talk to us and apply. Coming back day after day just to remind us who you are is, at best, going to do nothing for you.

Connecting:
Use your face-to-face time to make a connection and make me remember you. Don't come back to ask me for a business card because you couldn't find me on LinkedIn. First, I'm not on there. Second, I either already think well of you or I probably don't want to be inundated by the inevitable future followups.

Demands:
Has anyone else gotten back to you about that resume you dropped off yesterday? Yeah, neither have we. Please hold. Even worse is being confronted about "will I be hearing back from you?" or "am I the right fit?" Expect something non-committal.

Just plain out there:
Coming up to our booth and collecting swag while avoiding eye contact and reciting a manifesto about our oppressive ways and your eternal loyalty to Linux is ... I'm not even sure what to call that.

 

No comments: