Monday, April 1, 2013

Red, Yellow, Blue and Green

I recently took Insights training at work. It's a system that assesses personality types. In case you're thinking "this is kinda kooky", the dimensions were referred to as "color energies", which made me think of Jane Lynch's character in A Might Wind explaining that they were part of WINC: Witches in Night's Colors. It's crazy to worship some man with a beard in the sky. They are simply just in tune with the 47th vibration of nature. Anyone who gives these things a thought would surely come to the same conclusion.

Each color represents a personality dimension; each color has a tagline as well.
Red: "Be brief, be bright, be gone". Alternatively, "let's get this done and move on"
Yellow: "Involve me"
Blue: "Give me details". Alternatively, "I want to consider all my options"
Green: "Show me you care"
A personality profile is the measured percentage each of these applies. I was red=75, yellow=67, blue=63, green=21.

As you may have guessed, engineers are heavily blue. Probably three quarters of our class (70 people) were at least 50 percent blue. Maybe a third of us were 50 percent red. This may be why I hate the 6 engineers order 3 pizzas scenario.

Surprisingly I found that people's colors really did line up with what I thought of them, and the recommendations the accompanying packet had for how best to and not to interact with me also made a lot of sense. I even cross-checked for the horoscope approach (put a little bit of everything in there, jumbled up and sliced this way and that so that everyone finds something they identify with) and didn't find it in there. The most interesting one of these was "do let him know he's in control." At first I resisted being portrayed as domineering, but then took it another way: don't involve me unless I have some control over the outcome. It's true! This is one of my pet peeves from both angles: why would you waste your time getting my input if you don't really need it? How does it help you get where you need to go? Yep, I'm red... and that other guy, clearly blue :)

No comments: