Sunday, February 10, 2013

Moot interview

With IBM in preparation for graduating undergrad.

What does the modifier 'protected' mean in java?
It means that inheriting classes are able to call the particular method.
Is the type 'int' an object?
No.
Can the content of a string be changed?
No.
What class is the base class of all object in java?
Object.
How do you create a new thread in java?
Umm ... I'd have to check the API. There's a Thread class, I think. I'd have to look.
You can eitehr extend Thread and call .start() or implement IRunnable and pass it as an argument to Thread. What does the keyword static mean when placed within the body of a method.
Wait... in the body of a method? That doesn't make sense. That doesn't compile.
Hmm ... umm. Let's skip that one.
...
You'd be a great fit. I'll have to go back and see if we have any openings for you. Here's my card. If you don't hear back from me in 5 months, shoot me an email.

I'm not entirely sure that my ability to recite facts about a programming language makes me particularly qualified. I guess they at least prove I have some clue. I sure wish they were interviewing for actual openings though ....

No comments: